Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Topiary Trees

First project of the year, and I decide to make topiary trees!  Apparently I didn't get my fill of Christmas Trees?  I've been a little crazy changing all kinds of stuff this year.  I'm not doing any resolutions, but this is going to be the year of change.  So being the cheap thrifty gal I am, I decided I can make these for less!  Yes you can, but wow are they messy, took me almost as long to clean up.


I ended up using spray adhesive to put the moss on, but I bet mod podge would work.  You'll need turpentine to get the glue off your hands.  It's very messy, I sprayed it in the kitchen, but I put down a lot pillow covers that were headed to the garbage.  I used the hot glue to secure the topiary into their pots.  Scissors to cut the burlap and floral wire to attach the wreath.


 Burlap and twine went around the bottom of the pots.  Here's a close up of the wreath I bought and my make shift drop cloths.


Naked topiary, I got these, the pots, moss, wreath and the burlap at Hobby Lobby.


 So I sprayed the orbs like crazy and put the moss on.  I just continued this until the orb was completely covered.  I did spray the finished orbs with more spray adhesive and tried to get all the pieces to lay down nicer, but let's face it they aren't going to be perfect.  The finished project does shed a little if you move 'em around too much. 


I cut a good sized square of burlap so I could cover the pot and used twine to tie it on, then I cut the florist wire and attached the wreath.  I'm very happy with the end result, not bad for my first topiary tree!
 

Here's the second one, a little different than the first.


Like I said this year was about change, I haven't been happy with the buffet by the front door for a while.  This is one of the first changes to take place on it.  More to come...


It's already looking tons better, I think these add a lot of the needed height that was missing.  The candlesticks on the left have been the tallest things on the buffet, other than the lamp, for a long time.  I'm hoping the Eiffel tower makes the cut.  Oh well, I'll just have to move it some where else if it doesn't!!!


Thanks for stopping by!!!

6 comments:

Donnie said...

They really came out cute but I think I will have to enjoy them from afar. Looks like a lot of work. You did a great job.

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Great idea to put the wreath in the middle! I've never seen anything like it! Very unique! I love them! xxx

Tanya said...

Very cute...i want to make some topiaries so bad. I need to get on it =)

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Great DIY project, and I'm sure a lot more affordable than buying them premade. I like the burlap cover.

Thanks for linking your creative talent to my party each week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Love your topiaries! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and I hope to see you sometime on my weekend linky party!

dan tanpamu said...

wow beautiful topiary trees, I love the idea that you provide really inspire me :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails