Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Doors Painted!!!

I really wanted to paint all the doors in my home black, and then I decided it was a bad idea.  In my kitchen I have an area with four doors right next to each other.  I was picturing them painted black, and in my head I saw a cave.  Cave = No Good!

Door that leads to the garage.   Both sides were painted.

Front door.  Only the inside was painted on this door.

So here's my story, I went to Home Depot and bought my paint, came home and started painting the front door.  It was a pain, was gonna take a zillion coats and I lost interest super fast.

What does a girl do?  She calls her handy man Blaine Hector, all names have been changed to protect the innocent, and I paid him to complete it.  What did Blaine Hector do?  He sent his wife over! 

Then a quart of paint later, she ran out, but the doors where not done!  I had to go back to Home Depot and buy the paint wih the primer built in, which I thought I had.  What a rookie mistake.  Then Blaine Hector had to come finish them.  All in all it took a quart and half of paint, three painters and five weeks to get two doors painted, on three sides.  Yep we didn't paint the outside of the the front door black, I didn't feel like asking the HOA permission, so we left it. 

I'm loving that they are black.  My garage door looks so clean now!  Makes me want to paint the garage, nope not gonna happen...I have four chairs and small buffet to finish...some day.




14 comments:

Lesley said...

I think it looks fantastic. And all of the back and forth and people involved just makes for a fun story!

I've been thinking about painting all of our inside doors soft yellow. Not baby room yellow...more a very soft lemon. They are all very dark wood doors so I think the change would be lovely.

andiejaye said...

i love that black! it's not too overwhelming. it looks classy and will hide smudges and fingerprints so well!

♥ Miss Tea said...

I love the result! seems like you've been busy going back and forth to home depot hehehe, cant wait to see the finished chairs and small buffet that you're working on, tammy! i too really want to repaint a few stuff but i havent got the energy for larger furniture haahaha

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Tammy! I should do that to our back door. Tons of fingerprints that don't even scrub off. Drives me crazy. Red paint is a pain, too. Five coats on our front door. Grrrr...
Even though it was a lot of paint and labor, they look classy in your home.
I need to email you. We are off to some huge garage sale thing in Loveland. Hope you have a wonderful Saturday and Happy Mother's Day! XO :D

Designed by Chance said...

The doors look great! I would never be able to got to HD so many times, I live 30 min. away! All my doors are wood, so no painting them for me.

Lisa said...

I think the black looks good!

I totally get your door painting nightmares right now. We just bought 18 doors and need to paint them all white. Hubby and FIL spent an entire day priming them and were so pissed off at the results. This weekend we went out and bought an electric spray paint gun and hopefully that will work better...and be faster!

Patricia said...

We bought our house less than a year ago and the front door is wood and beautiful... but it doesn't match the house! Red of course is one of my favorite doors. But, after several weeks and months of stalking other houses as we drive by, I have decided it has to be black! My husband thinks I'm crazy! But this post has me convinced... but I am so scared to paint it ;o/

Jill said...

The doors look great! Who would've thought it'd be such a tricky project!?

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Candie Rossler said...

I laughed at the part where Hector sent his wife to help you and about your kitchen being a cave. It's a good thing that the painting was done, those doors looks great. =)

Hug a tree with me said...

I'm your newest hop follower:) visit me at http://hugatreewithme2.blogspot.com whenever you can

Pinching Abe said...

I'm here from a blog hop! Please visit me sometime. The door looks fab!

TriGirl said...

Stopping by from Smile with me Saturday. Oh man, who knew it would take so much time, sweat and paint to paint a couple of doors! They look great and it sounds like it was worth the effort :D

Carolyn said...

So many jobs take longer than we expect, but if we do it properly, we enjoy the results for a long time to come. So love the black doors.

Unknown said...

Good to hear that you have a handyman, always to the rescue. All three of you worked together for about five weeks to finish two doors. What took you so long to finish painting your doors black, if you don't mind me asking?

-Roosevelt Franklin @ ClearChoiceWin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails