Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Meet Hating Martha, Week 28

DSCF7330-1-resized
Hi all! I am Janel and I blog over at Hating Martha
…a blog all about my imperfect life that is just about as perfect as can be!
Come say hi sometime!
I am so thankful that Tammy has invited me over
for the day…isn’t she just the sweetest! Thanks Tammy!


Today I want to share one of the Seasonal projects I have been working on…
Christmas AND Thanksgiving Chalkboard reversible placemats…
whew! someday I will figure out a shorter name!
DSCN1513DSCN1519


DSCN1408


These vinyl placemats were .88 at Walmart.
This side is very smooth and the opposite is more absorbable and pure red…much better for Christmas!


DSCN1407


Thanksgiving side needed a “primer”of sorts. That vinyl needs to be sealed so the chalkboard paint can adhere.
I chose this black enamel I had from another project. Because it was black it would eliminate how many coats I would need.


DSCN1410


After the coat of black enamel.
Go off and do something else while you wait for it to dry.


DSCN1481


Next we grab our trusty chalkboard paint. You won’t need a lot.
I used about 1 cup for 4 of them. Really.


DSCN1485


There you have it. Chalkboard placemats.
But…we still have more…


DSCN1489


I was going to do something simple on the other sides.
Maybe just a pretty green border and Merry Christmas stenciled.
But, I let my little guy help paint with the chalkboard paint. He happened to get it all over the worktable.
And then was setting them on top of the paint.
So…I came up with a design to help disguise all those marks.
It worked…mostly!


DSCN1503


Those Christmas trees are placed strategically…as well as the dots.
The Christmas trees are Chalkboard Paint.


DSCN1504


The dots are these guys…love them! They are so useful!


DSCN1505


I made sure to add a nice black edge to make it look a bit more “professional”…if that’s possible with me?


DSCN1507


Back to the Chalkboard paint side.
Your paint should have been left for about 3 days.
Then you should cover the whole thing with chalk.


DSCN1508


And rub the chalk in.
Wipe it off and you are done!


DSCN1510


So sweet and charming!


DSCN1509
DSCN1513


Hey…it’s Thanksgiving…lets use our placemats!


DSCN1519


No need to put the placemats away…just flip them over and tada!
And don’t forget…those trees are chalkboard as well!
You can decorate them yourself!


DSCN1524
DSCN1529


These placemats are a Christmas gift and look so charming all packaged up!
I don’t like to have the placemats complete washed when I give them,
I want the person receiving to understand they are chalkboard.
I also include a box of colored chalk.


There you have it…an oh so cute and personalized Christmas gift.
The cost is inexpensive.
But, giving a homemade, from the heart gift…priceless!
Or…you could simply keep them for your table.
Who wouldn’t want to doodle at the table?
Don’t forget to stop over at Hating Martha when you get a chance!
And thanks so much again to Tammy for letting me guest at her fabulous blog!


I love these, and I will be making these for my kids!  Thanks Janel for being a guest and sharing this great tutuorial with us!!!


Don't forget to the enter:
MOTHER OF ALL GIVE AWAYS

&

Shabby Apple GIVE AWAY





3 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

those are so cute! what a great idea!

Erin Branscom said...

Those are so cute!! I love it!

Unknown said...

I love this idea. It is perfect for a kids table on thanksgiving. Nice one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails